Clement says he doesn't gamble as McNulty signs for Reading FC
- Jonathan Low
- 9 July 2018, 16:17
Royals boss Paul Clement. Credit: Eddie Greville
Reading FC manager Paul Clement says signing striker Marc McNulty is not a gamble by the club.
The Scottish frontman joined Royals from Coventry City last week on a four-year deal after scoring 28 times for the Sky Blues in League Two in 2017/18.
McNulty, 25, is yet to play higher than League One in his career in English football but Clement insists he can make the step up to the Championship.
"I'm not in the business of gambling," said Clement. "I am in the business of building a team which is competitive at Championship level.
"I have no doubt he is going to be a part of that. I see Marc as someone who has got a lot of potential.
"He's showed that at League Two level and scored a lot of goals. He was a big part of Coventry City getting promotion to League One [via the play-offs].
"And from what I have seen of him I believe he can do it at this level."
McNulty, who has also played for Sheffield United, Portsmouth and Bradford in his career in England, started out at Livingstone where he netted 45 goals in 117 appearances.
He subsequently moved south to join Sheffield United in 2014 on a three-year deal but only made 25 starts in a three-year spell there which included loans at Pompey and Bradford.
McNulty scored 28 times for Coventry City last season. Credit: Coventry Telegraph
Following his release by the Blades he was picked up by Mark Robins' Coventry City last summer and was an instrumental figure in their campaign which ended with a play-off victory over Exeter City.
Royals have reportedly paid around £1.5m for the striker's services and the move goes some way to addressing the lack of goals which blighted the club last season.
Clement says plenty of places are still up for grabs in his squad with less than four weeks left of pre-season.
Royals have already lost to Eastleigh and AFC Wimbledon and have games against Fulham, Rubin Kazan, Besiktas and Crystal Palace to come before the season opener against Derby County on Friday, August 3.
The manager said: "The players that are here have opportunities in training and in games that they want to be in the starting 11 for the first game of the season.
"But I still have an idea of some things I want to strengthen. It was no secret we needed a striker and I don't think we are done in that position either.
"With every training session and game you start to get an idea [of the line-up for the Derby game] but that will only be the starting 11 for the first game.
"After that there is 45 more games to go.
"I would like a group of 15 or 16 players that are really competitive and have a really good chance of playing every week."
Don't forget to keep an eye out on our social media pages for more Royals news.